CSCE 181: Introduction to Computing
Short Report 0: Practice with Summarizing
Due: 2:20 PM, Tuesday, Jan. 26
This is a practice assignment, which will be commented on and
"graded", but the grade will not count.
Formatting your paper:
- Read the three web articles by Raibert, Ernst, and Spolsky
listed under "Useful Links" on the course web page.
- Read the TAMU Writing Center's article on summarizing at
- Read Chapters 1 and 13 of the Zobel textbook.
- Write a summary of Chapter 13 of the Zobel textbook,
using the instructions from the Writing Center webpage.
What to turn in:
- Type your paper. Use 1 inch margins and 11 or 12-point font.
The length should be between 1 and 2 pages. The inter-line spacing
should be somewhere between single- and double-spaced; the goal is
to make it easy to read. Number the pages.
- Include a bibliographic reference. In this class, we will use
the IEEE style.
A nice explanation is available from
How your paper will be "graded":
Each of the following will be assessed on a scale from 1
("weak") to 5 ("strong"), with 3 being "average".
- A hard copy of your paper, together with:
- A filled-out and signed copy of this
(Adapted from UWC's Summarizing webpage.)
- Main idea is clear and accurate.
- Summary is concise;
extraneous details and examples are not included.
- Summary is well-organized.
- Summary only includes information in the original and without your
- Summary is in your own words.
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are correct.
- Bibliographic information is included.