CSCE 181: Introduction to Computing
Short Report 5: Summarizing and Critiquing a Lecture
Due: 2:20 PM, Tuesday, April 20.
Formatting your paper:
- Write a summary and critique of one of the lectures,
which you attended, from the following days: 2/23 (Wells),
3/2 (Williams), 3/23 (Caverlee), 3/30 (Gu), 4/13 (Welch).
Do not use a lecture that you have already used for a
previous short report.
- Follow the guidelines from SR 1.
What to turn in:
- Type your paper. Use 1 inch margins and 11 or 12-point font.
The length should be between 1 and 2 pages. The inter-line spacing
should be somewhere between single- and double-spaced; the goal is
to make it easy to read. Number the pages.
- Include a bibliographic reference. In this class, we will use
the IEEE style.
A nice explanation is available from
University. For a lecture, give the speaker's name, title of
lecture, "Presentation to CSCE 181", and date.
How your paper will be graded:
Each of the following will be assessed on a scale from 1
("weak") to 5 ("strong"), with 3 being "average".
- Turn in a paper copy of your report
together with a filled-out and signed copy of
this cover sheet.
- Quality of summary
- Quality of critique
- Organization at the paragraph level
- Sentence structure
- Tone / choice of words
- Economy / lack of padding
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Bibliographic information