CPSC 211, Sec 201-203: Final Exam Review
The final exam will be similar in style to Exams 1 and 2. It will be
cumulative. There will be additional emphasis (in short answer
questions) on the material since Exam 2.
In addition to the material for Exams 1 and 2,
review the following:
Topics since Exam 2 to focus on:
- lecture notes, Slides 284-348
- Quizzes 11 and 12 and their solutions (given in class)
- lab activities
- Object-oriented software engineering: software lifecycle, etc.
(details of CRC diagrams are not important)
- File systems: indexed files, hashed files, etc.
- Databases: serializability, 2-phase locking, committing and aborting
- Artificial intelligence: goals, production systems, ways to search
the state space (breadth-first vs. depth-first).
- Complexity theory: definitions of time complexity of an algorithm
complexity of a problem, and the class P; idea of NP-complete
problem; definition of traveling salesman problem;
fact that no one knows whether
NP-complete problems can be solved in polynomial time or not.
- Computability theory: fact that there are functions / problems that
cannot be computed / solved by an algorithm. (You do not need to
know the proof of this result.)